Through the looking glass

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Long, long time ago ..

I came across this one as I was scanning some old folders. I guess my wingmates from DTE will enjoy it more than others, knowing the context. I do sincerely hope that even others enjoy it too.

"The humourous incident of Mishra in the evening time."

This one evening only Mishra and me were in the wing. I remember the food in the mess that day was far from palatable, so we decided to go out to eat. As we were about to leave the hall, we see Mangu. Actually, we should have been expecting to see Mangu because most of the times he shows up just about when we are on our way to somewhere. And of course, what follows is a flickering motion of the fingers signifying that we wait for him for five minutes. That day we were not in a mood to relent. And so Mangu said, "Order onion uttapam for me and I shall meet you at the restaurent." We nodded our approval and cycled away.

I had been trying to systematically brainwash Mishra into buying a mobike. I could see that he was on the verge of conversion. Anyway, we were on the frust corner and I was again extolling the virtues of a bike when we saw this Kinetic Honda coming from the Tech Market. Surely, the guy riding the Kinetic also saw us. He expected us to stop and we pinned our hopes on him. Turned out, none of us was worth the faith we had in each other. Right in the middle of the road, the Kinetic banged into Mishra and went skidding away.

Mishra let out a groan of agony. I was psyched out and so were the people around. The rider on the storm was in a belligerent mood because we didn't stop. However, we decided that rushing Mishra to the hospital had to be scheduled first. We took a rickshaw and went to the hospital. I rushed Mishra to the emergency room and told the nurse about the whole situation. The Kinetic Honda guy also had reached the hospital by then. He wore two horrible bruises on his left arm and leg.

Meanwhile, Mishra had been groaning incessantly. The nurse began to role up Mishra's trousers to the spot where the pain seemed to emanate from. After she had rolled up to above his knee, the three of us strained our eyes trying to find a bruise, a cut or even a scratch. While me and Mishra were going through alternate cycles of relief and disbelief, the nurse was overcome with mirth and let out a boisterous laughter. I, red-faced, suggested that the injury could be internal. The nurse replied, "Don't worry, we will check that also." Somehow the tone of her voice seemed far from reassuring. By this time, we came to know that the gentleman who crashed into us was a defence personnel. It would be unbecoming of him to acknowledge the pain that the injury had inflicted upon him. As a result, his countenance bore an expression betraying mild rage. And the nurse turned to look at him and found the contrast all the more humourous. Anyway, we got the X-ray done to shred the last pieces of doubt and we came back to the hall.

Fifteen minutes later, Mangu walked into Mishra's room and asked "Where is my onion uttapam?"

5 Comments:

Blogger El Katto said...

commenting with the typical mangu sound....Ptch! Ptch!

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Abhishek said...

that sounds like mishra all right

9:13 PM  
Blogger Mugger Much said...

Damn funny, people. Ha ha.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Mugger Much said...

Also, as far as I remember (considering the fact that I nearly lost my life that day), I vaguely remember Mangu glaring away at me and popping the question in DL, not in my room.
A minor quibble.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home