Through the looking glass

Thursday, September 28, 2006

When it comes to drinking tea, I am often overcome with greed. This afternoon, when I decided to make tea for myself, I was looking for the biggest vessel possible, short of the kettle itself. My options were a largish china cup and a larger whiskey glass. I succumbed to the temptation and poured the contents into the pan as per the measurements of the whiskey glass. After the tea boiled, I poured it into the glass. As I touched the glass, I realized why it was not called a tea glass – it was too hot for any human to hold it. About tea, it is said that some like it hot and I belong to this group. I felt like the greedy dog that barked at his own reflection and lost his piece of meat in the process. The problem solver in me rose to the challenge and I begin to think how I could avoid losing my piece of meat. I drew the following decision tree:


The decision tree clearly indicated the path I had to follow. The tea was nice.

Moral 1: Some stories have no morals

Moral 2: Every little convention in the world need not be probed

Moral 3: Decision trees can help you make good money if you are in career where you charge clients per hour

10 Comments:

Blogger Mugger Much said...

Hahahha!
Dude, this rocks!
Keep posting.

10:01 AM  
Blogger spicavigo said...

How abt wrapping the glass with a piece of cloth???

1:00 PM  
Blogger calvin said...

Dear spicavigo,

I will be honest that your suggestion did not cross my mind. Perhaps, it is because that from experience I know that glass and cloth do not stick together as much as one might like them to. Thus, this option had the risk of negative utility in the event that the tumbler fell down and broke.

1:06 PM  
Blogger spicavigo said...

You can always put one hand at the base of the tumbler to prevent it from falling. The cloth will, in that case, cover the base of the glass too.

1:11 PM  
Blogger calvin said...

That would imply huge opportunity cost as one would not be able to use the otherwise free hand.

1:23 PM  
Blogger El Katto said...

quit drinking. period!

2:44 PM  
Blogger jhapk said...

Good stuff! Amazed to see such an activity so soon.
And btw allow anonymous comments so that naive non-fellow-customers like me can comment with undisguised identities.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Aniket said...

Dear Calvin, why don't u simply admit that your decision tree is not completely exhaustive. :-p

Btw, moral number 4: Most decision trees are imminently obvious.
5: Most consultants get paid for stating the imminently obvious ;-)

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fully faltu

2:59 PM  
Blogger calvin said...

dear aniket:
thanks for your comments. i chose to restict the number of morals, because:
a) i wanted to restrict myself to those which were beyond the obvious :P
b) some of my friends in the "business" e told me that any conclusion ought to pass the "elevator test" :P

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home